Saturday, March 29, 2008

Too old for this?

I don't know why I feel out of place. Maybe it's because I suddenly realized that the site I've been downloading ringtones from is run by a 20-year-old college student. Shouldn't really bother me. The girl I'm trying to emulate isn't even that old, and she's much more successful than he. Must be easier, though, for someone in school to learn something new. I'm a salesman that works 45, sometimes 50 hours a week, and comes home to a wonderful girlfriend who asks only that I spend time with her. With all these irons in the fire, that seems like a lot more than she knows, but I'm happy to give her that.
So where do you find the time, if you're grown, and out of school, to do all of this? Treat it like school. Remember when each class was an hour a day, sometimes half an hour of homework? Same goes for all of these projects. If you naturally find yourself getting so busy that you just don't know what to do with yourself, then you have a scheduling problem. I know this sounds a lot more like a diary entry today, but bear with me.
Part of being successful is moderation. How rich do you want to be? If that's you're biggest motivation, you're in for a long road, because nothing... and I mean nothing, is ever going to satisfy you. So, if you find yourself in this position, and you don't want to get burned out, seek out a time for JUST your project, and stick to it. Even if it seems small, you WILL be making progress, and your loved ones won't want to throw it out the window. Personally, I'm at it with all of these projects for about an hour and a half each day, and whatever I can squeeze in on the weekend. Tonight, that's going to change.
I'm sticking with an hour and a half each day, but the weekends belong to me, not my business. Instead of "whatever I can fit in", I'm limiting myself to the same hour and a half that's more than enough during the week. If you worry about getting burned out, I'm suggesting the same for you.
Take care of yourselves, and if you find yourself starting to wonder if your site will ever take off.... I'm right there with you.

No comments: