Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Beauty of CSS

Think external style sheets are a pain to learn? I'm about to redo all of my pages, which is as simple as going in and taking a template, inserting the information into the style, and making sure I save it to the right folder. Quick and easy, right? Well, not as easy as changing the external style sheet for the website.

http://www.csszengarden.com/

This website is an excellent example of how easy it SHOULD be to change your website. You click on the link, and the reference to the style sheet changes. One line. VERY simple. Please, if you're looking at a dynamic webpage that you would EVER consider changing, consider css. For some reason, people telling me it was neater, and loaded faster never convinced me. When I'd already spent an hour changing web pages over, and I realized I was about half way done, I found this site, and I felt like a joke.

So what now?

I'm going to w3schools. I'm not messing around anymore. I want to learn to do things right, not just tweaking what everyone else has done.

Best of all, I've found FREE TRAINING for my asp.net certification right there at w3schools, and I plan to make the most of it. What does asp certification mean? Well, down here, it means $17-20/hr to start as a web designer, and a much better environment than the one I'm currently in. Good stuff, right?

No comments: