Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Just in time!!!

Yeah, I bet you thought you had just gotten in under the wire. You posted a metric ton of St. Patrick's Day comments just before the holiday so that people could nab a few throughout the day. Sure, your site is indexed, and you're on all the search engines, but unless you've given google, yahoo, and the msn bots time to crawl your pages, you're not going to turn up anything in the searches.

How much time? That depends on when the bots last crawled your site, but average time is 48 hours to two weeks. This means you really need to consider planning well ahead, and giving time for these engines to have your stuff up and running. I speak from hindsight, because I was extremely frustrated to find out that my holiday comments, which I had spent hours putting onto the site, couldn't be found anywhere, unless you were already coming to the site (laughable, if you'd seen my last month's traffic).

So take your time, plan ahead, and most of all, if you realize a holiday is upon you, don't pull your hair out to get the content up. Make it count, and put some quality stuff up there for next year.

Have fun, and good luck!

No comments: