Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The problem with photo copyrights

Half the stuff out there, showing up on everyone's profile, making people return to these websites... it's all copy-written. So, if everyone else is doing it, why won't I? Maybe it's stubbornness, and a general willingness to keep things as honest as possible. Part of it, though, is much simpler. Who wants to host a comment you can get at a thousand other sites?

I'll tell you who, it's the same people that got into the business thinking that they could get rich without showing any personal talent or creativity. Is this any different than getting used scripts to make a webpage work? By degrees, to be sure. When someone comes to my site, I want them to know that the comments are original. If they see that I didn't put my own website code together, I'll be okay. That's not what I'm going for. I want to take what's already out there, *esp. stuff that's not specifically copywritten and use that to create a website that people will use.

I wish every day that I had a little more experience. For sure, it would make things much more my own, and less like everything else that's out there, but when it comes to images and comments, there's too much that's a part of me to let something copy-written slip through.

If you're like everyone else out there, though, in that you're either not artist or webmaster, relax! It's enough to just put yourself out there, and show your personality using what you've got. Who knows... maybe there's an artist out there that would team up with us webmasters- I would certainly enjoy the opportunity to team up with like-minded artists. I'm sure the final product would be worth the collaboration.

No comments: