Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Investing in something worthwhile.

My friends hear me say it all the time: "People will charge you for what you can find for free, because they can." While this is true, some things are just worth the money. If you're doing something full time (and making a living off of it) you might want to weigh the cost of professional-grade software. Ugh... I hate having to eat my words, but I must admit that it's really refreshing to see what Photoshop cs3 can do for me. Scalable fonts, morph tools, and a burn function is the tip of the proverbial iceberg, and I don't even know what I'm getting into, yet.

Was it worth it? Time will tell, but I must admit that some things just cannot be done on free software. There, I said it. While trying to design a logo for a friend's cd cover, I noticed (with no small degree of disappointment) at my inability to scale his font for smaller icons.

While not complete, or perfect, this website was able to offer some help with GIMP. I was disappointed that Fireworks had so little available to me... at least after a brief search. Fireworks 8, my primary image manipulation tool, is typically more than enough for whatever I needed, but after buying photoshop, I'm amazed at what is now possible. Would you like some sauce with that crow?

2 comments:

All The Things said...

Hey, popped your comment cherry...lol. I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist...lol. I read all of your blogs, and I have to tell you that you give a bunch of good info. Everybody can benefit from the info in them, from beginners to everyday net nerds. Anyway, I find your information very encouraging, and that's a very good thing. Oh, BTW, I'm showin' some love to this average Joe Webmaster.
You rock ;)

Jeff said...

Lol... thanks! You made my day!