Friday, March 21, 2008

Revamping, and where did the time go?

Has it really been a week? Time escapes me, but at least I've been busy. The latest news is that I've got a contact page on my site working (YAY!) and I'm taking advantage of a day off (Good Friday) to dig in and redo EVERYTHING. How does one go about doing that, and why? you may ask...

Well, I've had some issues, mostly with the articles I've been reading. They say that making webpages with tables are messy, problematic, and generally unprofessional. Instead, they say, we should all be using css, because once you get the hang of it, it's really the easier way to make webpages. I don't know, but by the end of the day... I sure hope something good can come of it. So how do I go about doing that? Well, the first stop is the one stop that's always done me right- getcsstemplates.com

It's a really good source for when I needed a quick page to put together, and before I got my copy of Macromedia Dreamweaver 9. They have a really good selection of templates, and with a little research (I hope) I'll be able to tweak the pages into something I like.

The second stop is to find some good, free pictures to help with the links. Since the name of the site is MyspaceSpiceShop, I went to morguefile.com for some royalty free pictures. The problem with morguefile is that these pictures are high resolution, so you'd better be prepared to do some resizing and slicing if you want them to load quickly onto a page.

Finally, before I even open my site design program, I've drawn a site map, which basically lists where everything I have should be. It looks much like an outline that you might have done in English classes, but if you prefer, you can make it family-tree-style.

All of this should go into your site before you start designing pages, because otherwise, you'll get halfway through, saying "Oh, yeah, I was supposed to add a link to this page, so now I have to edit the menu bars in ALL the pages." Lol... trust me, I've done it, and it's a minor pain, but one I hope I have helped you to avoid.

Good luck, and happy hosting, everyone!

Happy Easter, too! Check out this unusual site. I love the way they used their menu at the top. It's a bunny for a mouse cursor, and he goes around to the eggs. As you scroll over an egg, it hatches, with the name of the link popping out of the egg. Tres drole, n'est-ce pas?

No comments: